Saturday, January 21, 2012

And Still Searching...

Do you ever feel like you should just give up?  I certainly do.  And I'm at that point right now with trying to find a church. 

I don't really feel like I belong in most Mennonite churches because I am not that close-minded.  But then the ones that are more open-minded, I am more conservative than them.  I have found several churches on-line that looked like they would be a good match for me; however, after more praying and searching, it appears that they may be a bit left-field for me and perhaps not even Christian.  It is so hard to tell, all these churches claim to be Christian, but what I understand to be Christian is obviously different than how some define "Christian". 

I've considered home church, but in the area I live, there are not many who do that. 

To me, searching for a new church, while I am also searching for a denomination that I agree with is difficult.  I don't know how other people do it.  I think if I knew which denomination to search within it might be a little easier, but I don't even know that. 

How do you do it?  Look for a new church that is. 

Blessings in Christ,

 

5 comments:

  1. I have no advice for you. My church is not a perfect match for me but I still have this feeling that God wants me to say in it. I will continue to be 'the odd one' but I have this feeling I am supposed learn something or someone else from my present. I trust that God will lead me the day I am supposed to go if it will ever come. I have strongly considered Quakerism but there is something stopping me so perhaps it is not right or it is not right for now.

    You say that some churches that seem to fit might be too liberal or not even Christian, might there be that God needs you to challenge these views? I do not know, but maybe that is a track to follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elin for your thoughts. I guess that is one way of looking at it, but if that is the case, I do wonder why now? But I guess I will not know the reasoning for God's plans until He decides to reveal them... Thank you Elin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that god will answer your prayers but perhaps waiting is part of the plan, you might not be ready for the plan he has yet. Pray and do not lose hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweet sister! I've been in your boat unfortunatel more than once! most of us probably have! For instance, I'm a skirt only in a pants laden church. But I have scripturally differenced from most skirt wearing churches. I also have been praying and studying on headcovering...now, I gotta wonder if that would be accepted. :) For now, I do love my church but I find myself wondering if there are more like minded assemblies out there. At this time we will remain where we are as it is a very good fit for my children and the preaching is amazing! Keep praying! God has a place for you! I will pray for you too!

    Joyfully,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Chelsea - I so understand your dilemma. I have been searching for a place to fit for many years, and unfortunartely my adult son (who lives in another city) is also having the same difficulty in finding a church.

    I think my 'beliefs' line up most with anabaptist/mennonite, but not quite, as there are still a few little things I don't fully agree with, and like you, I wonder if perhaps we need to be more in the world (so as to be a light in the darkeness) than they see necessary.

    Maybe we are not meant to find a place where we 'fit in'. Jesus never really 'fit in' any where when He walked here on earth, so maybe we have to be content to be salt and light to the world around us...even if that means a lonely walk.

    But I do understand your struggles,as I too continue to search for a place to fit in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea