Friday, March 4, 2011

Cleaning Up

Hopefully this will be the last time for a while that I find myself sifting through mud soaked cardboard boxes, but I am doubting that will be the case. I was able to help clean up yesterday and today... I am truly surprised at how fast the store has been able to open back up, they have two departments and the cafe that were not open as of today, and one will be opening early tomorrow morning. Anyway, today I was working with another volunteer, an older Amish man, and he was sure the jokester :) Made the time go by faster!

Q: In Germany, how do they call a wheelbarrow?
A: They don't, they push it!

Oh my, he had me laughing most of the day, it was sure great to meet someone with his humor and personality when cleaning up from such devastation! Today was pretty much re-stock the shelves day though as most of the major cleaning has been done.

Our area is calling for rain through Monday morning now so I am praying that it will not be enough to cause another flash flood. Although at least right now we do not have any melting snow to add to the rivers.

This event was the first time that I have seen first-hand how a community pulls together to help get someone or a business through a time of devestation. It was truly amazing and I am glad that I was able to help even if only for a little bit. As backwards as it may seem, I am beginning to think that sometimes God allows tragedy to happen in order to bring the community together to support one another.

Blessings in Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea