Saturday, January 22, 2011

Which is right?

It was brought up in Sunday School two weeks ago how many different denominations of Christianity there are. I don't remember the exact number, but it was somewhere around 35,000 if I remember correctly. The question was brought up of how can we say that we are the "right" denomination? Obviously 35,000 people (or so) thought that they were right too, in order to start each of the different denominations.

Do I believe each denomination is right? Not completely, but nor do I believe the denomination I fall in line with is completely correct either. I would not be willing to say "Conservative Mennonites are the only right denomination", nor would I be willing to say that any other denomination is the only right one. I pray that each of those people who started the denominations prayed and meditated before breaking off from their previous group, but can I say that truly happened? No. I believe it is up to us each individually to pray and mediatate before we align ourselves with a specific denomination. God will lead us to a church He believes is right in the Bible and that we will fit into.

I feel that it is a red flag if a denomination is willing to say it is the "right" one. I try not to judge when I hear that, but I want to blurt out "how do you know you're the right denomination?" Hard to refrain sometimes :)

Bottom line is that based in scripture, there is no right denomination, we should focus not on what denomination we follow, but rather if the church we attend is a Bible teaching church. Someone once said to me, God is not going to ask what denomination you belong to when you die, but rather 'Do you believe in My Son, do you believe My Word, and did you keep My Word?' and I believe that is so true.

Blessings in Christ,

3 comments:

  1. I 100% agree! I got a letter from a girl the other day telling me I shouldn't join the Amish but that I need to join her church. She said that her church is God's "1 True Church" and she was "bad and lost" before she found the church. She said if I come to their church I can be "good" like she is now. No where did she mention JESUS or anything like that. She listed what she thought wrong about the Amish, Mennonites, Catholics etc. but it sounded like her church must've been perfect :) I'm extremely weary if anyone says they are the 'right' and only church too. I always think "if someone says they're the 1 true church...then they aren't" obviously they aren't too open and humble and her words did not seem like she had Godly love for others in those groups. Thanks for this post I totally agree! Salvation through Jesus and following His Word is the real importance! God bless you friend,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And thanks for the email...I didn't respond because I am working on doing that for a blog post. Not sure if I know 100% why but I'm just writing based on how the Amish around me feel and how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a cult that believes it is the "only, true church" from Acts.Even as a child I never believed it and refused to join.It was later when I discovered that the group was an experiment that was started in the later 1800's.I had always had my suspicisions but to find that they were lying to me about that hurt.

    Churches that think that they are the only, true church probably do this to keep people afraid of leaving by preaching that those who leave will go to hell.Kate, you were wise to not be drawn in by that person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea