Thursday, August 5, 2010

Canning Adventures!

So my new roommate and I decided to can some green cabbage and red beets the other night. Oh boy, the kitchen was an absolute mess! We decided to can them together to try to make the German sweet pickeled cabbage... I'm not quite sure how it will turn out, but I am excited to try it!

We blanched our cabbage and then shocked it with ice water while cooking the beets. We ended up using 5 beets to bleed for the pickling juice, but we only cut up 3 of the beets to put in the jars with the cabbage. Then we used 2 cups & 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of pepper and 1 tablespoon of salt as the spices. Mixed that in with the beet water after they were done cooking and added vinegar to taste. Make sure it isn't too sweet for your liking though because ours was really sweet before we added the vinegar.

For one rather large head of cabbage and 3 beets we needed 3 regular mouth quart mason jars. We divided everything up while we hot bathed the jars and lids. Then did the canning as quickly as possible! One of the jars did not seal so we ended up putting it in a pot of hot water over night which sealed it right up! We did save our beet juice for when we finish canning our beets we have left, but that would be up to you if you want to save the juice or not.

What else are we going to can? Well I would love to can some banana peppers for sandwiches, I have gotten on a kick with those banana pepper rings...oh so yummy! I think we are also going to try to can some green beans and maybe some salsa. But we shall see on the salsa...

Thought I would share this with you. Happy canning!

Blessings in Christ,

1 comment:

  1. Your canning sounds like so much fun Chelsea! My family and I are going to be experimenting in it for the first time in a couple days. :) I'm not sure what exactly we're going to can yet, but I think its the skill we're practicing more so than the results. :)

    I know I don't leave many comments, but I just wanted to let you know how much your blog has been an encouragement to me. I'm not going plain, but animosity does come my way because of where we live and what I wear. :)

    Your thankful reader,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea