Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Words from a Child's Mouth

I am in awe at some of the things that come from my 5 year old cousin's mouth sometimes.  Not because they are bad words.  But because of what she seems to know about God even though her mom tries to take God entirely out of the picture.

I do not talk much about God to her, as I've said before, I don't wish to start a family rift.  I have talked to her a little bit about my veil and about why I wear skirts and always have my shoulders covered (as she calls it).

One day while in the waiting room at the doctor's, the little one told her mom Mom, you know what I think?  I think when we talk, God is telling us what to say and we are speaking for Him.  Although not entirely correct because we know there is the devil who comes into play and can cause us to say words, I think it is amazing that she would be able to grasp that concept.  Her mom's response?  No honey, you are in control of your words.  While I understand why it is not a good idea to let a child believe that they have no control over what comes out of their mouths, I do not think taking God completely out of the picture was appropriate either.  But then again, my cousin is not a religious person at all. 

Yesterday she asked to see my shoulders, probably the 10th time in two months, and again I told her no because I keep mine covered all the time.  She asked if it was because I didn't want others to see my body and I said yes.  Her response?  That's good, I know some people like for others to see their body but I don't like when they do that!  She continued to say that she likes to keep covered up too and doesn't like for people to see her body.  I can only hope that she keeps that same thinking as she grows up and experiences more and more peer pressure to fit "the mold".

Then last night on the way home from dinner out, my 5 year old cousin tells her mom how God is a "boy".  Her mom challenges her saying that maybe God is a girl.  The 5 year old contemplates this thought for a minute and proceeds to say, No, God must be a boy because He seems like a boy in the book.  Again, for a 5 year old to process that in half a minute?  I was blown away, good thing her mom couldn't see my face because I was grinning.  So amazed at the knowledge of a child who has not been brought up to know God by her parents. 

I don't have my own children yet, but if God allows that to happen one day, I can only hope that my children will speak so freely of God, allowing adults to be amazed at their knowledge and faith in the Lord.

Blessings in Christ,

 

1 comment:

  1. All the more reason why Jesus was adamant when he said unless we have faith like a child we wont see the kingdom... Thats wonderful she is expressing what really is natural in a childs thinking... just keep being that positive example to her and her momma and I am sure one day you will rejoice when that child grows up and has a relationship with Christ ... all because someone was being Christ to them..

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea