Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What Are You...?

This is my all-time favorite question...next to "who are your parents?" :)

Are you Amish? ... No.
You must be Mennonite then, right? ... No.

I am a Conservative Christian. I do not associate myself with a denomination, but if someone really presses I will acknowledge that I find many of my beliefs are similar to the Conservative Mennonite's beliefs.

I do not feel convicted in naming a denomination just so people know what my beliefs are because I feel no matter the denomination, I will not agree with everything they stand for. It was that way when I attended a Lutheran church, when I attended a Baptist church (both Southern Baptist and IFB), when I attended a Beachy Amish Mennonite church and now as I attend a Conservative Mennonite church.

I have been told that I have to associate with a denomination so that others know my beliefs. They will know if I am against certain things or agree with them. But as I said, I don't agree with everything that any denomination stands for and even in a denomination, there are so many different churches, all which take each point in their doctrine to a different level.

I also feel that we should not label with denominations in regards to Matthew 12:25 "And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:". I have read the surrounding context, and I do struggle to understand the parable, but I feel that this can apply to denominations within the Christian religion. Some could take the house as to mean each individual church house, which I can agree with, but I take it in a broader sense as well in which the Christian house will fall if we divide ourselves.

I understand I am probably in the minority on this feeling and that is okay. But being asked nearly everyday at work "what are you?", I have been thinking about this quite a bit.

Blessings in Christ,

2 comments:

  1. I know that feeling. I also get asked "where are you from?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get asked "where are you from" a LOT. And when I answer, people ignorantly assume THAT is why I wear a head covering. As if that had anything at all to do with it, which it does not. Har har har.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea