Friday, May 7, 2010

Our Citizenship Belongs in Heaven

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saivor, the Lord Jesus Christ" - Philippians 3:20 (NKJV)

"If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God" - Colossians 3:1-3 (NKJV)

These two scripture references I have much difficulty with. There's other scripture that I don't quite understand also, but for now I am focusing on these. I understand that our citizenship is in heaven, with our Father; but, what does that mean for us here on earth? I don't think that any country would allow anyone to withdraw their citizenship to remain citizenship-less... So how do we obey this? Some will argue that it means not getting involved with anything besides church activities here on earth. Others will say that there is no way to avoid being a citizen of some place on earth so why not get involved with as much as you can. Again, I go to the question of how far do you take a concept? I do not know, I struggle with this part.

The second scripture makes a little more sense to me because I can grasp the idea of not holding onto items here on earth. They certainly won't help me in heaven. But what all does this mean that I should avoid? Or does this simply mean that I should not told tight to those things on earth and truly reach for the wonderful things that await me in heaven? I have no answers for myself on this.

How do you separate yourself from the world? How do you establish your citizenship in heaven and not here on earth? How do you seek things from heaven while still here on earth?

So much to meditate on.

Blessings in Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea