What I don't understand is why, when our country was founded on the principle of religious freedom, would our nation turn towards criticizing those who still live by the Bible and have conservative beliefs. Instead of criticizing them shouldn't we be looking towards these people to see how to better ourselves as individuals? But, instead of doing that, we are out there trying to gain equal rights for everyone, redefining the word "marriage", and criticizing those who do not support those equal rights.
I am in a personal struggle right now with the way our society has so loosely defined "marriage". My cousin who has choosen to be a lesbian, has decided that she should be allowed to get married and that it will still be a church sanctified wedding. Yes, that is right, her church is allowing her to have her wedding there and her pastor is presiding over it. At first I was told that it was open to everyone but it was not something that we should feel like we have to attend. But now, my mom is telling me I need to put aside my thoughts on the subject and be at my cousins "wedding". I am struggling to know where to draw the line. I will support my cousin in her life, but I will not support the decisions that are sinful in nature. I cannot. If I attend her "wedding" wouldn't that be supporting her sinful lifestyle? To me it is, but I don't know how to address the situation with my mom who knows that I have different views than her as she says. I have said before "love the sinner, hate the sin", and I agree with that, but the hard thing with that is where do you draw the line? How do you support the sinner without it seeming that you are supporting their sin?
Blessings in Christ,
Hi Chelsea,
ReplyDeleteJust thought I'd post a comment, as my family went through a similar situation a few years back. My aunt is a lesbian, and she decided to get married to her girlfriend, and they invited us. My parents declined politely, because to attend a gay wedding ceremony, (in their opinion) was the same as saying that we think that is perfectly acceptable. We still see them, and we have a good relationship, but my aunt, and the whole family, knows that we do not condone her behavior at all. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, by not attending her 'wedding', you will not be killing your relationship with your cousin. You will only be letting her know that while you might say that being gay is wrong, you do not act it, and that is worse than openly being pro-gay.