Monday, May 2, 2011

Children's Bedtime Prayers

My aunt asked me if I knew any 'easy' bedtime prayers to teach my 4 year old cousin. My dad would say the Lord's Prayer with us before bed. I am wondering what you teach your children or what you would say when you were a child?

Blessings in Christ,

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chelsea!
    An interesting question, to be sure. :) When I was younger, my parents never taught me prayers to recite and encouraged me to pray from the heart, using our own words and thoughts. We did memorize the Lord's Prayer, but as Scripture, not a bed or meal time prayer. I'm sure our requests were trivial at the time, but as we have grown older, each one of us as grown up bringing our hearts to Him. I know some may consider allowing young ones to pray their own prayers, even aloud, a near sacrilege, but in the words of our beautiful Saviour:

    "Allow the little children, and don't forbid them to come to me; for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to ones like these." (Matthew 19:14)

    Blessings,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from and I agree with it, but I think my aunt was asking for one because if there isn't a specific prayer my cousin is taught (from me) then she won't learn any. My aunt has not been in church since she was a little girl and thus her children (my little cousin's mom) have never been to church either...

    Blessings,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Please be respectful with your comments as not everyone reading this blog comes from the same background.

Blessings in Christ,

Chelsea