Some of the arguments are as follows:
1. We do the Lord's Supper more correct than the Amish because we feet wash, have a common meal and then share the bread & wine.
2. We do not allow our youth to live in one world before they are baptized and then require them to be of the Christian world after baptism, we have them live in the Christian life the whole time.
3. We follow the Lord's wishes with baptism more closely than the Amish because we do not require our youth to wait 6 months before they can be baptized after they confess their faith; typically the next night we will gather for a baptism.
Here's what I think:
1. Does the order of the Lord's Supper really matter? I don't know that it does... Especially if it is changed to allow for less interuptions of the solemn service, ie. the foot washing is done after the sharing of the bread & wine, because in most churches the foot washing is not done in the same room where the service and the bread & wine are shared.
2. This came from a lady who comes from a faith where the girls do not cover until they join the church. I believe that there are different ways to raise the youth and that does not always fall on the Church, it must fall on the parents to decide how to raise their children. If the Church prohibits covering by non-member females then is that really following the Bible? I don't think so. In addition, if a woman is not required to cover before she becomes a member, is she really being raised in a way that will emphasize the Christian beliefs of the church she will join?
3. If you do not have an instructional or discipleship program, how do the youth know what is expected of them after they join the church? I believe the discipleship program is very important in order for the youth to learn the expectations of them when they join the church and for the church leaders to verify that the youth understand what baptism really is and that the youth know what will be expected of them as church members.
I do not mean to judge anyone or any other denomination, it is simply my intent and wish to bring up some new thoughts for us all to think about. Comments are welcome as always :)
Blessings in Christ,
It doesn't matter what you do when it comes to religion, someone will always say that what you do is wrong... The churches these people commenting belong to, are they brethren churches of some kind? You do not need to answer or even publish this comment if you find me to nosy.
ReplyDeletePeople are doing exactly what satan wants. Disagreeing with one another. Getting angry..ect. If we all believe Christ died for us and that is the only way to Heaven then the rest is up to each individual. Great post! Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteIn this instance, yes it was someone from one of the Brethren churches. However, the not covering until the youth join the church is also seen in some Mennonite churches in my area. I have also received several comments from people not in a “Plain” church about how their denomination is right; it’s just been longer since I’ve heard those so I don’t remember them quite as clearly :)
ReplyDelete